Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Rhodothamnus

Rhodothamnus: Rhodothamnus chamaecistus

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: AGS Encyclopaedia

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 20 December 2012, 17:40. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from John Good 20 December 2012, 17:40top / bottom of page
long-lived and eadsy, but first get your plant!

The plant of Rhodothamnus chamaecistus with which I was fortunate enough to win the Farrer and Forest medals at the 1991 International conference at Warwick is still alive and looking reasonably happy in my garden, 20 years later. It is much woodier and less floriferou than it was, but that is the case with most dwarf shrubs as they reach old age. My plant grows in full sun in freely drained stony soil that never dries out, it is fed occasionally with a liquid feed designed especially for ericaceous plants, and once every two years in spring (after flowering)it is topdressed with a mixture of gritty sand and fine composted bark. Propagation is not easy, I have tried seed on several occasions without success and cuttings are notoriously difficult to root. Success rates may be improved by applying the old gardeners' tip of covering the plant with an upturned flower pot for a few weeks after flowering, masking the drainage hole(s) to cause the shoots to etiolate, when they are more inclined to form roots. Even then, if you get 10% to root you will have done well. Don't be in a hurry to pot up any cuttings that do root as they are inclined to die if you do, and keep them shaded and sheltered until they are growing away strongly.

long-lived and eadsy, but first get your plant!

This discussion Thread: Rhodothamnus chamaecistus - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
AGS Encyclopaedia entry: Rhodothamnus chamaecistus
Discussion Topic Rhodothamnus
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion