Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Primula

Primula: Primula palinuri

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Helen Johnstone

Go to latest contribution by John Richards, 31 August 2014, 16:41. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Helen Johnstone 15 March 2014, 11:19top / bottom of page

I have a Primula palinuri which I bought from a plant sale last year.  It's turning into a rather substantial Primula and I am trying to find cultivation information for it but failing, can anyone help? Also is this Primula classed as an alpine?

Contribution from Margaret Young 15 March 2014, 11:47top / bottom of page

Primula palinuri is endemic to Southern Italy and can be shown in SRGC or AGS shows as European Primula.  As can be seen from the foliage, it is related to P. auricula and can make substantial plants if happy - which it sounds as though your plant is. It is not truly 'alpine', occurring mainly on rocky cliffs near the coast at around 200m.   As with mainly primulas, it appreciates a  "dry neck" and it will normally do well in a pretty basic  loam and sand or grit  mix.  Always a good idea to take cuttings  from time to time to keep new plants coming along. The flowers are taller and perhaps more refined in appearance than  P.  auricula .

You may be interested in this : http://www.primulapalinuri.org/pdf/SWJ2011.pdf

- a paper from The Scientific World Journal, Volume 2012, Article ID 471814, 10

Contribution from Helen Johnstone 15 March 2014, 12:22top / bottom of page

Many thanks Margaret, it's yet to flower but should it in time with a local show I will enter it

Contribution from John Richards 31 August 2014, 16:41top / bottom of page

The other thing to say about P. palinuri is that although it occurs on sea-cliffs not far from Naples, it is remarkably hardy, although I guess it never experiences frosts in the wild. As Maggi says, it tends to rot off in wet winters if grown outside, but in a vertical position there is a good chance of success. It is fairly straightforward in the alpine house, although, surprisingly, it resents being cooked in summer and I nearly lost mine this July. It is a forgiving plant and revived when put in a cool place for a few weeks.

At one stage it was the only European plant with World Red Data book status, which caused many people to write in and ask did we know they grew it. Most were P. florindae!

This discussion Thread: Primula palinuri - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Primula
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion