Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: ...yes there are other primulas still in flower (again!!!)

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Giles Reed

Primula scotica 5th July 2008

Go to latest contribution by Giles Reed, 07 July 2008, 09:34. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Giles Reed 07 July 2008, 09:16top / bottom of page
Dunnet, Caithness

I was up in Scotland last week, buying primulas (what else ?)and decided to make the journey right up to the top, as I had never seen P.scotica in the wild. I had been told the Dunnet was a good site, and was fortunate to bump into a local person keen on plants on the beach, who directed me to a particular spot in the dunes that was thick with top-size primula and fine orchids too.

Dunnet, Caithness
Close up.

Some of the plants were about 3 inches high.

Close up.
The orchids were more densely placed than the primula

Dactylorhiza purpurella

The orchids were more densely placed than the prim
The green ones were particularly difficult to avoid treading on

Neottia ovata

The green ones were particularly difficult to avoi
Primula scandinavica

Having seen P.scotica, I would like to see P.scandinavica. If you know of any good sites/local contacts I could follow up for next year please let me know. Many thanks, Giles

Contribution from John Richards 07 July 2008, 09:34top / bottom of page
Primula scandinavica

Thanks Giles, great photos of P. scotica! Another good site for this is the headland that sticks out north from the village of Bettyhill. There are plants on the clifftop within a half-mile walk of the village. When I was in Tromso a few years ago, I was told that a possible site for P. scandinavica was near the shore under the main road bridge on the west side of the island. There was apparently suitable habitat here and I looked for hours and found nothing!

Contribution from Giles Reed 07 July 2008, 09:34top / bottom of page
ps.

By contrast, this is an 'unhappy' specimen in close cropped sheep pasture at Strathy Point, at best its 3/4 inch high.

ps.

This discussion Thread: ...yes there are other primulas still in flower (again!!!) - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion