Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: "A defence of blogging?" - none needed

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Margaret Young

Go to latest contribution by John Richards, 19 June 2014, 12:07. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Margaret Young 12 June 2014, 17:59top / bottom of page

I think a "defence of blogging" in the context of such diaries as this, John, is quite unneccessary.  Clearly the recording and preservation of information has been of use since before Mr Caxton make such a breakthrough with his printing machine so why would this diary be any less valuable  in giving a glimpse to  your experiences?

I note you mention the archive of R.B. Cooke - I suggest that the internet would make a fitting home for such information and allow it to be used widely by interested parties.

I think too, that you may underestimate the use of and confidence in the internet for "our generation" - there are those yet to be convinced but it is our task to persuade them ! Certainly the numbers enjoying the SRGC website and also the Forum - where open access, the ease of interactive contributions and not least a good search facility, mean that  many tens of thousands of interested people can see and learn about all manner of plants - not just our traditional alpine and rock garden plants. The online resource of The Rock Garden  back issues bring a huge library  to the world at large  - the uptake of these resorces is seen as an important part of SRGC outreach as part of our charity remit.

These  AGS diaries must qualify for that, too.  Keep up the good work, JR, JG and Tim!

Contribution from David Nicholson 12 June 2014, 18:39top / bottom of page

Speaking as one who has read every one of your Diaries I find it and others similar an invaluable part of my gardening education. It provides information in "mangeable" chunks and the timeline it provides makes finding information much easier.

I took early retirement in the days when work colleagues and contacts talked to each other rather than sending each other interminable emails and the use of computers in a working situation and the internet were at  early stages of development. Thus I'm completely self-taught on as many of the "dark arts" as I need and I doubt if I shall ever (or need to) get as far as Facebook and Twitter.

I have to say though, since my gardening education really began to pick up steam post retirement, that I'm sure I wouldn't have advanced as far as I have without my computer and the rich diet of gardening information available on it. I once did a little talk for my local AGS Group entitled "Gardening 365 Days a Year" based entirely on snippets I've found on the Internet over the years.

Last year I took over a collection of Primulas from a grower who had passed away and this included a number of old P. marginata cultivars and hybrids and, as time allows I am trying to build up information on these with the hope of making a permanent record at some time and your Diary 01/04/07 came in very useful in two ways . Firstly it told me that P. marginata 'Arthur Branch' (which incidentally I don't have) was named for Arthur Branch who ran a nursery in the Cotswold village of Shipton-under-Wychwood. That told me too that P. marginata 'Shipton' was possibly named for the village and was equally possibly raised by Arthur Branch.

Long may your ink never run out and that goes to for computer Diarists everywhere.

Contribution from John Richards 16 June 2014, 16:45top / bottom of page
Primula marginata and Arthur Branch

Thank you David. The best of luck with your P. marginata collection. I should warn you that many of the older clones are virused, and so tend to infect other clones in the collection. Anything with streaked or distored petals or foliage should be burnt immediately. However, not all infected clones show these symptoms. Assume that all clones were vigorous easy growers once, and if they mimp now, get rid of them! I am sure that ruthlessness, not sentiment, is the way forward! Raise lots of new good ones from seed! (only keep the good ones though!).

I don't know the clone 'Arthur Branch'. You probably know that I bought 'Shipton' from him in Oxford Market in 1968. Its source was identified, and the clone named, by Roy Elliott in a Bulletin article about 30 years ago. I still have plenty and if you are the person I heard yesterday (from  Dave Riley I think) that is seeking this, email me and I shall give you a plant at one of the autumn shows.

Primula marginata and Arthur Branch

Contribution from David Nicholson 17 June 2014, 19:17top / bottom of page

John, many thanks for the guidance. Although many of the plants I took over were in a bad way, so far I haven't detected virus and apart from a couple (now being looked at closely) have done reasonably well in their new environment..

The Northern Branch of NAPS have a listing of Marginata cultivars on their Web Site and that was where I got the name 'Arthur Branch' from and then I came across it again from  your  1st April 2007 diary in relation to 'Shipton'. Although technically I don't have 'Shipton' I did inherit a plant called marginata 'Shrimpton' and as I haven't been able to find any references anywhere about a Primula marginata 'Shrimpton' I have assumed the name on the label is wrong and it should be 'Shipton'. This didn't flower this year and if it performs in 2015 all may be clearer. So I'm afraid I'm not the person that Dave Riley mentioned to you.

Contribution from John Richards 19 June 2014, 12:07top / bottom of page
Arthur Branch

Thanks David. As I had never heard of Primula marginata 'Arthur Branch', I went back to my contribution for 1st April 2007 and see that I don't mention it there. I was talking about the nurseryman Arthur Branch who presumably raised the clone Roy called 'Shipton' at the Shipton-on-Cherwell nursery he ran. It is perfectly feasible that he raised another clone called 'Arthur Branch' but I have never heard of it.

It is not a good idea to read ones old offerings! That one has at least one howler! The lovely Taiwanese Rhododendron pachysanthum is not a Taliensia species, but is placed in section Maculifera where Rh. pseudochrysanthum from southern Japan is a close relative (and neighbour in this garden).

This discussion Thread: "A defence of blogging?" - none needed - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion