Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 02 September 2017

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

Northumberland Diary. Entry 345.

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 04 September 2017, 20:00. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 03 September 2017, 07:09top / bottom of page

It's really interesting to compare gardens because here in Kent the climate has been the very reverse of your's in Hexham (although total annual rainfall doesn't sound much different). After the really serious drought up to the middle of the year we have had a lot more rain from July on. Very different to last year too when it was from now on right into October that we had so little rain! Seems like a garden has to be pretty adaptable, just as the plants in the garden often are, and the gardener. Despite the rain now a lot of trees show signs of stress and there must be quite a moisture deficit deeper in the soil profile.

Contribution from John Good 04 September 2017, 20:00top / bottom of page
Honey fungus

I was interested in your comments on honey fungus in your garden and its apparent lack of virulence. When we came to Bod Hyfryd 26 years ago the two main problems were Japanese knotweed (I already feel a nightmare coming on!), which took 10 years to extirpate, and rampant Honey fungus resulting from the previous owners having felled several large trees leaving the stumps intact. I bought a winch and removed the stumps as best I could (and sold the winch at a profit afterwards!) but it took 5 years or so before the Honey fungus subsided. It killed quite a few good plants in the meantime, including a large clump of  Cypripedium cordigerum, several rhododendrons, roses and (to my surprise) lots of daffodils. At its worst the rhizomorphs were so thick and intertwined that if I put a fork into the ground about three inches and then lifted it the whole surface came up, rhizomorphs and all! Anyway, the good new is that I haven't seen the fungus for at least 10 years and hope not too as I am assiduous in removing stumps when felling trees or removing dead shrubs.

This discussion Thread: 02 September 2017 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion