Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 27 October 2013

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

Northumberland Diary. Entry 256.

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 29 October 2013, 18:59. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from John Good 28 October 2013, 10:38top / bottom of page
Wow indeed!

This posting made me very nostalgic as when we lived in Bonnyrigg in the early 70s I used to take the children to the botanics on a Sunday morning to give Pam a rest! It has always been my favourite public garden, not least because the layout is so good, with many splendid trees, and of course the alpine areas, from the huge rock garden, to Alf Evans's peat beds and the alpine house and surrounding beds, just wonderful. I have now made a mental note to visit next spring to see the new alpine house, and all the rest. Clearly the alpine section continues to go from strength to strength.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 29 October 2013, 18:59top / bottom of page

Having spent a good day cleaning and puttying the glass on a 30 year old Pratten's greenhouse, with perhaps a week to go, I think I prefer the old alpine house at the Botanic's! The display inside is really stunning and much closer to what most alpine gardeners might aspire to. The new 'glasshouse' is really a piece of sculpture more than anything else, or is there a practical basis to its design, perhaps to catch and accentuate wind movement over the plants? Would be interesting to hear more about it from the team at the Botanics. After seeing the rock gardens in the Czech Republic, few were actually made as uniform crevice gardens. In most cases parts of the gardens were like this, but generally with wider and more varied rocks; some of the most attractive to my eye were much more traditional, but still using narrow crevices to plant into. Just a couple of examples:-

The first two are in Martin Brejnik's garden - quite contrasting styles.

And the second two - perhaps the most attractive garden we saw, belonging to Ota Vlasek.

The first and last pictures show how varying the width of vertical rocks is more pleasing to the eye, whilst keeping the benefit of plentiful planting crevices. Given suitable stone this would be my aim making a garden like this.

This discussion Thread: 27 October 2013 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion