Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 28 May 2011

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Tim Ingram

Diary 184 - A view from the South

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 31 May 2011, 10:20. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 31 May 2011, 10:20top / bottom of page
A view from the South

Why is it that all the most beautiful alpines grow in the North? The silver saxifrages are a delight to see because we can grow them quite well. I had never come across a mossy that could aestivate through dry weather and certainly this spring this is a feature of great importance! I have just invested in Malcolm McGregor's book, partly because we have the very fine Saxifrage grower David Hoare in our Group, and am greatly enjoying reading it.

The primulas are exquisite and my only real success was years ago when running the nursery with several species grown from seed from Jack Drake's nursery. But of course these were irrigated rather than having to take their course in the garden. I am amazed though by the ability of the primrose and its brethren to tolerate long dry spells, and auricula, marginata and such also do OK on the scree. Those lucky gardeners who have moisture really have somewhere to go with the genus.

This discussion Thread: 28 May 2011 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion