Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 24 May 2014

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

Velebit orchids and others. Entry 272.

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 27 May 2014, 15:19. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from John Good 24 May 2014, 22:17top / bottom of page

What a wonderful double offering! The nearest I have been to this area is on a cruise ship travelling between Dubrovnik and Venice. The mountains looked very enticing but I had no idea that they have so much to offer. One wonders why the likes of Naturetrek and Green Tours (and AGS Tours) do not offer holidays there. One way or another I am determined now to visit - thanks very much John.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 25 May 2014, 09:43top / bottom of page

Absolutely agree - I am on a steep learning curve all over again, especially reading about the orchids which I don't know well even though living in Kent which is not so short of them. The globularias are a fascinating little genus which are really nicely described by Prof. Schwarz in the Bulletin (Vol. 35, p.305, 1967) and which we are growing quite a number of and with some confusion over names. They do seem to need plenty of heat (trapped and radiated by rocks) to encourage them to flower well in many cases.

With your interest in Taraxacum, I thought you might like to see this distinctive fruiting head (at Godinton House in Kent). A rather wonderful piece of sculpture! There doesn't seem to be a great deal of discussion going on on the website so maybe it will begin to pick up with time? I certainly enjoy reading (and writing) the diaries, and have you and Jim to thank for that, but you never quite know if anyone else does at times.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 26 May 2014, 12:17top / bottom of page

"but you never quite know if anyone else does at times"

Don't worry Tim, we, your readers, are out here :-)

Contribution from David Nicholson 26 May 2014, 18:21top / bottom of page

Present and correct Sir!

Contribution from Margaret Young 27 May 2014, 12:36top / bottom of page
The Velebit Mountains. Entry 271.

Indeed, one does wonder why this area is not more popular for holiday trips. A wide range of plants to see - for me, I'd have been happy with just the Crocus and Primula!

Contribution from Tim Ingram 27 May 2014, 15:19top / bottom of page

I think the big point is that there is a difference between knowing that members read the diaries (which is always nice to know) and actually more members contributing and discussing things on the website. A society by implication is to do with interaction and the Internet enables this more than ever before. It has changed the way we share information hugely (even if not always especially accurately or helpfully) and is obviously here to stay, so if it is not really used by members one does get the feeling that the AGS is a bit behind the times. Even more it enables contact with so many overseas gardeners which is really enlightening. I would just like to see this develop more because I hope it would have an impact too on how the AGS might develop in the future by drawing in new and stimulating people (not, that I hasten to add, that the Society hasn't already plenty of stimulating members within it!). At the simplest level we are always trying to do this in our Local Groups and every once in a while it comes off. (This should really come under the Members Discussion section I suppose).

This discussion Thread: 24 May 2014 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion