Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 26 May 2012

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

Northumberland Diary. Entry 215.

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 02 June 2012, 11:51. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Alex Spence 28 May 2012, 22:44top / bottom of page
Alpine House design and requirements

I'm at the stage of starting to build an Alpine House and I'm looking to learn from other peoples experience.

Can anyone one help - links to photos of different designs would be very helpful. Thank you, I'm a new member here.

I like the idea of sand/grit plunge benches.

Contribution from Margaret Young 30 May 2012, 11:33top / bottom of page

I have directed Alex to various threads in the SRGC forum which will be of assistance to him.

Always good to hear of someone making a start with alpines under glass!

Contribution from Tim Ingram 02 June 2012, 11:51top / bottom of page

About the only Meconopsis I have grown (apart from cambrica) is horridula, and that not very well. That combination of prickly foliage and vivid blue flowers in aculeata is quite irresistable. Although I didn't watch much coverage of Chelsea I can imagine that rhododendrons could be called unfashionable - often they are not given contrasting plants to set them off and the effect can almost be like glorified bedding! I would be fascinated by a display of dwarfer species intermixed with lots of other ericaceous things, and alpines, as you might see on a Himalayan hillside. But Chelsea does have something of the 'catwalk' about it.

Even better would be a return to fashion of alpines and an outdoor garden on the 'rock garden bank', or perhaps it should now be the 'crevice and tufa bank'. I remember the last one made for the 50th anniversary of the AGS back in the '80's - a really superb display.

This discussion Thread: 26 May 2012 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion