Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 21 March 2011

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Martin Rogerson

Diary 177 - European & Asiatic Primulas

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 11 April 2011, 10:47. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 29 March 2011, 19:23top / bottom of page

John, I was most interested while lurking in the background at East Lancs as judging finished to hear the discussion on European and Asiatic Primulas as opposed to strict geographic class rules and agreed with what was put forward but it leaves me with one difficult question. Is P. vulgaris ssp sibthorpii European or Asiatic in this context as, as far as I can tell, it bridges the continents in a strict geographic sense.

Forgive me if I've just thrown a large rock in a calm pool!

Martin

Contribution from John Richards 30 March 2011, 10:04top / bottom of page
European or Asian

Yes, good one Martin. Well, I have to say both, that is P.vulgaris sibthorpii is one of very few primulas (P. elatior subspecies pseudoelatior and meyeri and P. nutans are the others that comes to mind) that is native to both continents (P. cuneifolia is native to Asia and America, but in different subspecies, as is P. tschuktchorum however). It is easy to think of section Primula (primroses, oxlips and the like) as a 'European' section, but primroses go almost to Afghanistan, cowslips to the Pacific, oxlips to the Altai, and there are more taxa in this section native to Asia than native to Europe. I think it is unavoidable that we can have a very few taxa that double for both continents. This is quite acceptable in other geographical classes, where e.g. Pulsatilla albana could double for Europe or Asia.

Contribution from Jon Evans 09 April 2011, 00:00top / bottom of page
Primula jaffreyana

Hi John

Did you have any views on the identity of the primula I photographed at Exeter (photo in the online discussion thread for that show), exhibited as Primula jaffreyana ?

Thanks, Jon

Contribution from John Richards 09 April 2011, 17:42top / bottom of page

Yes, I think thats OK Jon. In future, if you are looking for plentiful reliable images of Primula species (only, not cultivars), can I recommend the website Primulaworld run by Pam Eveleigh from Calgary? Its a fantastic resource of pictures and scholarship. I am copying a picture of P. jaffreyana from Tibet.

Contribution from Jon Evans 11 April 2011, 10:47top / bottom of page

Thanks John

It's good to get confirmation about naming of some of the more unusual show entries; it helps get the naming in the Photo Library correct.

This discussion Thread: 21 March 2011 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion