Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 05 June 2011

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Martin Rogerson

Diary 185

Go to latest contribution by John Richards, 14 June 2011, 17:43. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 12 June 2011, 12:24top / bottom of page

John, strangely your problem weeds and difficulties in keeping on top of the garden in Summer were music to my ears! Well, at least I know I'm not alone. Euphorbia griffithii is one which is no longer tolerated here. I've spent years trying to eradicate every last bit of 'Fireglow'. I should have twigged what it was like when visiting a small nursery, near one of the later Macclesfield show venues, where they had Euphorbia Fireglow and Thermopsis montana on display grown in the middle of a large lawned area so they could simply mow off the errant shoots.

Enjoy your travels

Contribution from John Richards 14 June 2011, 17:43top / bottom of page

Hi Martin,

Yes, E. griffithii is vigorous here too, although it is consigned to a rather heavy clay soil shady part of the perennial border where it is allowed considerable space and does look very handsome when in flower. This is really Sheila's domaine and I do hear occasional soto voce blaspheming as she pulls up the ropes of rhizomes to keep it within its cordon sanitaire. Definitely not a plant to mix with alpines!

This discussion Thread: 05 June 2011 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion