Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 07 June 2016

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

Northumberland Diary. Entry 318.

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 11 June 2016, 11:40. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from John Good 07 June 2016, 21:44top / bottom of page

Good stuff John, and not surprised to hear that you are out and about, you can't put a good man down! Fabulous piccie of the Lady's Slipper which I have yet to see in flower in England.... If the cornus you show is indeed C. capitata it is very different from mine, which is now a tree 25' high and about the same wide - one of the joys of the garden both in flower and fruit.

Cornus capitata close-up
Cornus capitata close-up
Cornus capitata fruit
Cornus capitata fruit

Contribution from Margaret Young 09 June 2016, 20:00top / bottom of page

Great to hear you are out and about and reporting once more, John. Good luck with a  full recovery.

Corydalis 'Craigton Blue'  is a cross of omeiana and flexuosa (rather than a cashmeriana hybrid).  A little hard to tell from your photo in the diary but I think that is more  likely to be 'Kingfisher' rather than 'Craigton Blue'.

Best wishes, Maggi

Contribution from John Richards 11 June 2016, 11:31top / bottom of page

Thank you Maggi. I do grow a Corydalis omeiana x flexuosa cross which I received as C. elata more than 20 years ago, but I have been assured it is the hybrid. It flowers late, in mid July, and is not 'Craigton Blue', which I think was raised more recently anyway? I do have an accession card for 'Craigton Blue', but I think you are right that the plant featured is 'Kingfisher'.

Contribution from John Good 11 June 2016, 11:40top / bottom of page
Jankaea

This would probably be my favourite plant too, if only I could grow it! I have tried many times and never had more than fleeting success. I remember it particularly clearly flourishing on the tufa cliff in Roy Elliott's garden in Handsworth, also on the tuffa wall in Harry Jans garden. In both cases, like yours, they were growing in the tufa and watered by percolation through a hidden system of pipework - I have never tried that approach, but never is a long time so you never know.....

This discussion Thread: 07 June 2016 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion