Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 14 July 2008

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Giles Reed

Primula obtusifolia - Outdoor Primulas?

Go to latest contribution by Giles Reed, 19 July 2008, 15:21. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Giles Reed 17 July 2008, 22:17top / bottom of page

It looked from your picture as though you were growing P.obtusifolia outdoors - is that right? Having only recent got a couple of plants I have been rather pampering them, is this unneccessary?

Contribution from John Richards 19 July 2008, 11:44top / bottom of page
Growing Primula obtusifolia

Yes Giles, I have two plants, grown from SRGC seed sown 1.1.2007. In total I had about eight; most of the remainder were gifts or sold. The larger one lives in a slightly raised bed made with sieved leaf-mould, sieved compost (ex heap) and perlite, on the north side but just out of the drip zone of a large Acer capillipes and with large lime trees further back. It gets early morning sun. It is covered with large frame lights from November until March. It was lifted for exhibition in April and put back when it has finished flowering, only to flower again later! The other one lives in a fishbox container in dappled shade. It has not yet flowered but has grown well. I think that this is not the most difficult of the 'nivalids'; about as tricky as P. macrophylla.

Contribution from Giles Reed 19 July 2008, 13:03top / bottom of page
Cultural advice.

Thankyou John, that's helpful. It was seeing your plant at an AGS show that led me to grab a couple of plants I saw on a recent visit to Kevock. Giles

Contribution from Giles Reed 19 July 2008, 15:21top / bottom of page
PS

rereading what I wrote, perhaps 'purchase' would have been a better word than 'grabbed', in case it gave the wrong impression!

This discussion Thread: 14 July 2008 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion