Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 22 January 2012

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

California and Oregon, Final Episode. Entry 204.

Go to latest contribution by Janet and David Dobak, 18 February 2012, 03:39. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 23 January 2012, 17:24top / bottom of page

John - I am especially struck by some of the dryland plants you show - the castillejas are such remarkable plants and Pedicularis densiflora is a real beauty in a genus of elegant and fascinating plants. There has been some discussion lately about these genera, and others like Bartsia and Rhinanthus, on the NARGS forum - and for anyone who might be keen to try the castillejas in particular, Paul Cumbleton has written a fine article on them in The Plantsman (Vol.7, Dec. 2008). I have a real soft spot for legumes, and lupins in particular, and have grown several, like albifrons, but succulentus and leucophyllus are new to me and very striking. I will keep a watch out for seed.

I wonder if you came across those extraordinary fire-adapted dicentras, chrysantha and ochroleuca ( I think they may now be placed in separate genera?). It seems hard to believe that such plants could have arisen from the typical woodland genera that are so familiar. They have been very little grown but one suggestion to help germinate the seed is to use a smoke treatment - I am not greatly hopeful but shall see!

These sort of plants do suit our climate down in the south-east especially. I have always been fascinated by the widespread western US Arctostaphylos but have rarely heard of any cultural success with them in the UK.

Contribution from Susan Read 28 January 2012, 16:29top / bottom of page

John, I finally felt inspired to rummage for my old Kodachrome slides of the USA and to take digital snapshots of projected pictures. Following the Castilleja theme I found red can still look stunning. The one below was taken (as far as I can be sure) on the east side of Mt Rainier. I thought it was C miniata but am not certain ....I use Peterson's Guide.

Contribution from Susan Read 28 January 2012, 16:41top / bottom of page

The last one was taken in late June 1981, whereas the next, also Rainier, was more than 40 years ago in August near Paradise Lodge, not very far from the snow line and in the clouds. Conditions made focus and colour poor but the colour was brick red. With hindsight the 'Lupine' association seems interesting.

In 1981 plodding up through the snow (in hot sun) one comes to the climbers' hut and extensive views down the spine of the Cascades in Oregon

Contribution from Susan Read 28 January 2012, 16:58top / bottom of page

Perhaps towards rather than in Oregon...apologies for the quality of that picture.

By the road side probably Penstemon rupicola. Other Penstemons were also attractive but less photogenic

For this thread just one more, a Calypso, but this was in Banff, one of a small colony but seen in very poor light coditions, also 1981.

Again, I really appreciated seeing your pictures

Contribution from Ron Mudd 29 January 2012, 12:31top / bottom of page

Darlingtonia is readily available and is very easy to grow ( certainly in a pot ). It is very hardy given the right compost etc. We grew it for years before we had to give a large collection away before moving abroad.

Contribution from Janet and David Dobak 18 February 2012, 03:39top / bottom of page
More Castilleja and other details

We took John to McCord Creek Falls to see Douglasia laevigata, because we knew a Primula expert would want to see it. John declined to walk the cliffside trail, but did see the Douglasia. Farther along there is also Castilleja rupicola to be seen at this time of year. (Photo courtesy of Dan Luoma.)

We recommend that anyone visiting northern Oregon include the Elowha Falls Trail (aka McCord Creek Trail) in his itinerary. It is noted for its botanical productivity.

In the first picture taken at Punchbowl Falls, Jan Dobak is to the right of the three people identified, and the fifth, facing away, is our good friend Dr. James T. Duncan (not the former owner of Benmore Estate!) of Ashland, Oregon, retired professor of embryology and an expert on the flora of Grizzly Peak near Ashland.

More Castilleja and other details

This discussion Thread: 22 January 2012 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion