Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 05 February 2012

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

Dividalen and Northumberland Diary. Entry 205.

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 14 February 2012, 10:33. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 12 February 2012, 10:47top / bottom of page

Again I found your scanned in pictures fascinating. They reminded me of my travels in Alaska back in the 1980's...I have not been so lucky in Norway. The cornus occurred as a woodland plant in the Ketchikan area on Deer Mountain trail. I found the name both as C canadensis and C unalaschkensis! Presumably it is diffrent from C suecica. My picture (again from slide) seems to include Trientalis arctica. Away from the trees cassiope formed vast carpets which I failed to appreciate or photograph since it excluded all else.

Second picture shows view from near the spot (so I know roughly where it was!)

Contribution from Tim Ingram 12 February 2012, 16:02top / bottom of page

Susan - did you see the absolutely exquisite plant of Trientalis europaea, grown by Brian Burrow, in the December Bulletin? It must be a great delight to find this flowering in the wild.

Contribution from Susan Read 12 February 2012, 16:39top / bottom of page

Tim,thanks for drawing my attention to it. I am not sure about the name I used. One book I have on Alaska flowers regards T. arctica as a subspecies of T europaea.

Contribution from John Richards 13 February 2012, 16:04top / bottom of page

Hi Susan,

Yes, Cornus (Chamaepericlymenum) suecicum is regarded a separate species from C. canadensis; the latter is more robust and is generally easier in the garden, although they are definitely closely related. I cannot speak for C. unilaschkensis. I shall now make Tim green with envy by noting that Trientalis europaea is a not uncommon, although local, plant in the north of my county (Northumberland)where it occurs in old oak woodland, and on the heather boundaries of the same. It is a delicate fey thing with quite small flowers, but it does have a certain charm. I think Susan is right that T. arctica is often regarded as being a geographical race of it and treated at subspecific rank.

Contribution from Susan Read 14 February 2012, 10:33top / bottom of page

Thanks John. I do not know about the species name unalaschkensis except for what I have discovered recently....eg in Timber Press Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest and the USDA site http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=COUN

This discussion Thread: 05 February 2012 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion