Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 23 February 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

Northumberland Diary. Entry 290.

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 28 February 2015, 11:44. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Jon Evans 26 February 2015, 12:41top / bottom of page

Dear John It was interesting to read about your visit to Kew. I haven't been for some time, at least partly because of the cost. I was particularly interested in your comments about Galanthus Straffan and S Arnott there. I wouldn't jump to conclusions - they might well not like Kew's tendency to plant them in warm dry situations, but both are very successful in my own garden, and S Arnott grows in foaming sheets at Blackthorn Nursery, further south in Hampshire.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 27 February 2015, 11:02top / bottom of page

... and John Gennard on the SRGC Forum shows a picture of 'S. Arnott' growing en masse in his garden, established by regular division over 45 years (which must be from when snowdrops began to be more popular again in the 1950's and 60's) and more recently rotovating where the snowdrops are! I think this confirms that where snowdrops are concerned it is time that tells, and these famous old varieties are famous because they grow so well! There might be some debate about the identity of 'S. Arnott' as well and Bishop, Davis and Grimshaw mention how difficult it can be to differentiate/authenticate it from other cultivars such as 'Brenda Troyle', 'Neill Fraser' and 'Mrs Backhouse No. 9'. We also have a taller plant 'Early Arnott' that has come from Graham Gough that looks to be growing very well. Comparing and observing how snowdrops grow in different gardens, as John G. has suggested gives the best indication but only if enough different gardeners describe their particular experiences.

Contribution from John Good 27 February 2015, 18:07top / bottom of page

'Straffan' and 'S. Arnott' are certainly two of the best here in N. Wales, especially where rate of increase is concerned. I can't distinguish 'Brenda Troyle' or G. imperati from 'S. Arnott' either!  

Contribution from Susan Read 28 February 2015, 11:44top / bottom of page

I used to pay 3d to visit Kew with free parking at the Brentford end. The good old days! Your excellent pictures were almost as good as a visit.

This discussion Thread: 23 February 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion