Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 07 February 2013

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

New Zealand cushions. Entry 235.

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 14 February 2013, 23:20. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from John Good 14 February 2013, 23:20top / bottom of page

What a fascinating article, and illustrated with the most mouth-watering photographs! I have always liked N.Z. alpines and have grown quite a few over the past 40 years, both near Edinburgh and here in N. Wales, where the climate suits them better. Of those you mention I once grew and showed quite large (4 inches, not 4 feet wide, as in the wild!)cushions of Raoulia eximea, R. mammilaris and Haastia pulvinaris, but alas no longer. I do still have Raoulia grandiflora growing in a crevice outside, and a large cushion of Myosotis pulvinaris in a trough, which is very happy, but does not flower much. Scleranthus uniflorus has formed a huge domed mat 4 feet wide that is slowly obscuring a path. I have tried and in some cases briefly succeeded with others of those mentioned but despite several attempts have never managed to get Donatia novae-zealandiae beyond thumbnail size.

This discussion Thread: 07 February 2013 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion