Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 11 August 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

Northumberland Diary. Entry 303.

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 15 August 2015, 07:32. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 13 August 2015, 13:25top / bottom of page

John, you might guess, I like that gardening philosophy very much! What I find in particular is how plants often can persist under less than ideal conditions and then, as you show with Thalictrum diffusiflorum, finding a new spot that gives them just what they need. This is one of the wonderful things about a garden, simply moving plants around and getting more of a sense where they do best. It's not random but considered, and the garden becomes more and more interesting as a result. The biggest problem I have is in trying to grow some plants that are not so well suited to our climate - I think cooler and wetter gardens have an advantage here because it is relatively easy to increase drainage (aeration) of the soil but not rainfall! Even so the microclimate of a garden can vary tremendously, far more than many gardeners must appreciate, and therein the ability to grow such a diversity of plants in a small area. It would be marvellous to visit some of the AGS and SRGC gardens further north - I think I would come home dreaming of primulas, meconopsis and dwarf rhododendrons, all those plants we can't grow so well!

Contribution from John Good 15 August 2015, 07:32top / bottom of page

This entry could be transcribed to my N. Wales diary as your 'philosophy' (if largely laissez-faire​ gardening can be described as a philosophy) is pretty well identical to mine. I have always grown whatever I fancy and paid little if any attention to 'garden effect', preferring to admire mass plantings of colour matched subjects in other people's gardens. I get more pleasure from seeing some obscure plant that I have finally managed to track down after years of pursuit flower for the first time than any number of massed ranks of common-or-garden (sounds snobby I know!) border perennials. And of course, if that new plant has been raised here from seed the pleasure is so much the greater.

This discussion Thread: 11 August 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion