Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 04 August 2012

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

Northumberland Diary. Entry 221.

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 19 August 2012, 13:40. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 08 August 2012, 17:29top / bottom of page

I was interested in your Francoa. I have had this for many years and got rather tired of it because the leaves always looks sickly, yellowing between the veins. The flowers are OK and I can now see their attraction, see picture taken a few days ago. Have tried Epsom salts on it. Any other thoughts on treatment?

Contribution from Susan Read 08 August 2012, 17:42top / bottom of page

Just one other thought... I assume this is M. aculeata taken in the Indian Himalayas. All the others I saw were a rather pale clear blue.

Contribution from John Richards 18 August 2012, 08:56top / bottom of page

Hello Susan,

Yes, I suspect Francoa may dislike lime. Here it thrives in acid conditions with humus and good drainage. I originally acquired it from seed purchased at Inverewe which may give a clue!Generally it is straightforward here, but I nearly lost it during the recently hard winters when a second clone, obtained from Barry McWilliam, proved less hardy than the ex-Inverewe stock.

I find Meconopsis aculeata very variable in colour. Many are a rather slaty blue, but I have had pinks, purples and good dark blues. And all from a single accession originally!

Contribution from Susan Read 19 August 2012, 13:40top / bottom of page

John thanks.

My Francoa has no such provenance. It was remaindered at a plant sale without growing instructions so I put it at the foot of the house wall in case it was tender, as alkaline as you could find in a chalky clay garden! Now with the internet I have found out more about it and its 'family' association. Needless to say I never saw it in Chile.

Must confess I do have pictures of other pink M. aculeata but in a forgetable hue.

This discussion Thread: 04 August 2012 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion