Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Northumberland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Northumberland Diary.

Northumberland Diary Discussion: 28 April 2016

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Northumberland/

Northumberland Diary. Entry 316.

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 19 May 2016, 20:45. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from John Good 19 May 2016, 20:45top / bottom of page
Mogeton for moss control

I too have had major problems with moss control in our wet N. Wales climate, mostly like you in cushion plants, and have spent endless pretty frustrating hours over the years picking it out with tweezers. Now I think I have the answer, which I read of in an article somewhere (I've forgotten where!) by Harry Jans, doyen of Dutch alpine gardeners. Mogeton (http://www.agrigem.co.uk/moss-killers/mogeton.html) is licensed and used principally on golf courses, but Harry found that it can be applied to many alpines without harming them and controls moss very effectively. Unfortunately it can't be bought in small quantities and the 750g packet sold by Agrichem retails at over 80, but I bit the bullet and bought a pack and can confirm that it is very effective in killing moss and liverwort without apparently harming the alpines (cushion saxes, dianthus, androsaces, drabas in my case)- the moss turns a golden brown colour and is then much more easily removed than when alive; I suspect that you could even leave it and the re-invigorated cushion plants would grow over/through/around it. I don't know how often the treatment needs to be repeated, I suspect annually in mid-late spring. This compound has very low mammalian toxicity.

This discussion Thread: 28 April 2016 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Northumberland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion