Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for North Wales Diary Discussion

North Wales Diary Discussion: Summer arrives at last - in September!

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/NorthWales/

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 15 October 2015, 06:49. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from John Richards 14 October 2015, 09:01top / bottom of page
Lapageria and gentians

First, for the lapageria, wow!, I wish I could do this. I tried twice many years ago in another garden. Perhaps the time has come with climate change to try again. What is the first gentian you pictured? It looks like G. septemfida to me, which you did not mention. In any case I think it is not G. paradoxa which has linear leaves. I love the G. sikokiana. It looks very like what garden centres often mass-produce at this time of year as 'G. scabra' which I have never found to persist in the garden. I wonder if G. sikokiana is the correct name?

Contribution from John Good 15 October 2015, 06:49top / bottom of page

Glad you like the lapageria, its even better now! I have my doubts about the G. paradoxa too: I have had it a long time, it may be paradoxa x septemfida,, definitely not straight septemfida. I am more confident of G. sikkokiana which I got from the Levers who are confident of its pedigree. Will perhaps see you at Harlow Carr on Saturday?

This discussion Thread: Summer arrives at last - in September! - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic North Wales Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion