Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for North Wales Diary Discussion

North Wales Diary Discussion: September 2016

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: John Richards

Celmisia hectori

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 25 October 2016, 07:08. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from John Richards 21 October 2016, 11:23top / bottom of page

Lovely Celmisia hectori! I had always struggled with this species (and still have a scrap from my original accession) until I acquired a plant from Aberconwy about four years ago (from where, dare I suggest, you may have bought yours). This has flourished in a fishbox, trebling its size, and has now been moved to the edge of a raised sand-bed. It has an enormous impact in the open garden especially in winter. I wonder if this is a newish more amenable introduction? It originates from rocky outcrops in the wettest parts of SW New Zealand an area from which few species enjoy our garden conditions.

Contribution from John Good 25 October 2016, 07:08top / bottom of page
Celmisia hectori

You are right, John, mine came from Aberconwy too! Whether it is a 'better' form or not I can't say, but is certainly good.

This discussion Thread: September 2016 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic North Wales Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion