Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for North Wales Diary Discussion

North Wales Diary Discussion: May 2014

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/NorthWales/

Go to latest contribution by Margaret Young, 20 June 2014, 11:59. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Ken Curtis 03 June 2014, 12:27top / bottom of page

John, I couldn't agree more with your singing the praises of easy plants. They are truly the backbone of a successful garden. The new and challenging always call to us but we risk a garden full of plant labels without plants or struggling examples of 'Gems of the Genus'. Another bonus of these plants is during times of neglect or when we are called away from the garden. Who comes to our aid then but the tried and true.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 04 June 2014, 08:21top / bottom of page

What I find so interesting is how gardens can often succeed so well with certain plants and differ with others. The rhodanthemum is a brilliant plant in our garden too, but Daphne arbuscula although it seems to grow well just doesn't flower freely, unless it's grown in pots in the alpine house. I've always assumed this is because the garden is not warm enough but I can't imagine N. Wales is warmer than N. Kent? Maybe again it is a need for heat stored in the rock work around the plant? Certainly something that it needs and I haven't discovered yet to encourage good flowering. More and more the idea of a crevice garden beckons. We have the same problem with Gentiana acaulis (which is a bit renowned for this despite comments that there are free and shy flowering forms). And plants like Silene acaulis are notorious for hardly flowering in cultivation, whilst Dryas octopetala from precisely the same places flowers well.

Contribution from John Good 04 June 2014, 11:39top / bottom of page

Hello Ken and Tim, Thanks for yhour responses, which are much appreciated. It has always fascinated/infuriated me that I find some plants easy to grow and/or flower that others find difficult, and vice versa. N. Wales certainly isn't warmer than Kent, quite the reverse! I think the constant moisture in the soil may be a ggod thing for daphnes and they certainly get that here, and especially in my crevice gardens.

Contribution from Margaret Young 20 June 2014, 11:59top / bottom of page

The differences in plants which will or won't "do"  even in neighbouring  gardens  is something else which interests me greatly - nothing like nature to keep us guessing.

Micro-climates are all very well but sometimes one is inclined to think the plants are just teasing us!

John Good - article in next issue of IRG

The question of whether or not a plant has to be rare or difficult to be a pleasure in the garden has been mentioned recently in the SRGC forum and I pointed out John's Dairy on his "favourite plants for May" as an example of even handed thinking.
In the next issue of the International Rock Gardener ( online on Friday 26th June : http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=international ) John will be sharing some favourite plants from his crevice garden.

This discussion Thread: May 2014 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic North Wales Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion