Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for North Wales Diary Discussion

North Wales Diary Discussion: Blithe spring - May 2016

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/NorthWales/

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 12 June 2016, 15:12. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 02 June 2016, 09:07top / bottom of page

Inspiring John, wonderful plants so suited to place and so much more real than Chelsea (even though that is wonderful too in its way). I think N.Wales must be a place of botanical/horticultural excellence for the nurseries and gardens and landscapes... I am grateful too to learn about Menzies - the names of plants carry so many resonances with the people who have studied and discovered them.

Contribution from Margaret Young 02 June 2016, 20:54top / bottom of page

Super info about Menzies- and other plant hunters  - on the website of the Explorers' Garden at Pitlochry - and of course the garden celebrating these heroes is worth a visit too. 

http://www.explorersgarden.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=70

SRGC former President Ian Christie has been much involved in the creation of the Forfar Botanists' Garden - detailed here  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10879.0 with all details  on the main site of the  project www.forfarbotanists.org 

Very important to celebrate these people to whom we owe so much in our gardens - just as in the Archibald Archive,  for the late James Cartledge Archibald where so many have shared and continue to share information:  http://www.srgc.net/site/index.php/features-mainmenu-47/articles/259-the-archibald-archive

Contribution from John Good 07 June 2016, 21:29top / bottom of page

Thanks , Tim, for your kind words. I don't think N. Wales as a whole is particularly favourable for growing alpines, too wet in summer (and wetter still in winter!), but we are on a fairly steep slope 400' up and only 0.5 miles from the sea, which definitely helps as we get much less rain than even as little as 5 miles inland, and being in an exposed position the air is always on the move, which alpines love.

Contribution from John Richards 11 June 2016, 11:47top / bottom of page
Rhododendron cephalanthum

Terrific entry John. I was greatly amused by the extreme resemblance between Daphne 'Marion White' and Rhododendron cephalanthum var. cephalanthum. At least you should be able to tell them apart by that unique resinous smell of the rhodo (the cinnabarinum clan has it too) which is so resonant of early summer in a really classy garden! I only grow var. crebriflorum which is pink flowered and has flowers of a very different shape. However I remembered that I had seen var. cephalanthum in the wild, so I thought folk might like to see material from the Da Xue Shan and Hong Shan, very similar to yours but perhaps with slightly wider leaves.

Rhododendron cephalanthum

Contribution from John Good 12 June 2016, 15:12top / bottom of page

Thanks John,

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I intended to mention the similarity between the daphne and the rhodo, but I forgot in the rush to get the entry completed on time! If my memory serves me right the anthopogon group are sometimes referred to as daphne-flowered rhododendrons. I used to have var. crebreflorum but lost it some time ago, I must replace it when I see a plant for sale.

This discussion Thread: Blithe spring - May 2016 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic North Wales Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion