Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for North Wales Diary Discussion

North Wales Diary Discussion: August 2014

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: John Richards

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 15 September 2014, 21:34. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from John Richards 13 September 2014, 16:34top / bottom of page
Japenese

Contribution from John Richards 13 September 2014, 16:46top / bottom of page
Japanese anemones

Well, John, you are wrong in one respect. My mother, daughter and son all grow wonderful japanese anemones, but they just won't grow here at all and we have given up trying. Two of the aforementioned gardens are in the South-east on light dry soils, and they seem to dislike our cool humid sheltered conditions. Possibly also our soil is too acid? Your garden too is light and open and warmer than ours. In compensation, we have Anemone rupicola, A. prattii and others, but it is shame that japanese anemones are not universally successful.

We too grow Gentiana paradoxa, but not like that. Wow!

Contribution from John Good 15 September 2014, 21:34top / bottom of page
It just goes to show!

Well John, I'm amazed that Jap anemones pose a problem for you, I've never heard of them being difficult plants anyhwhere before, which just goes to show how limited my experience of other peoples gardens and their plants is!

Yes, Gentiana paradoxa is a lovely thing, and incredibly vigorous here, individual plants covering half a square metre each bearing hundreds (literally!) of flowers, I only wish that other autumn flowering gentians liked me and my garden as much!

This discussion Thread: August 2014 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic North Wales Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion