Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for North Wales Diary Discussion

North Wales Diary Discussion: 'April is the cruellest month' - T.S. Elliott

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/NorthWales/

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 08 May 2016, 21:37. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from John Richards 02 May 2016, 08:55top / bottom of page

Super rhodos John. I am particularly envious of Rh pemakoense which I grew well 40 years ago but I seem not to be able to grow well here now. The same is true of its relative Rh. pumilum which lingered but I have now finally consigned......

Contribution from David Nicholson 02 May 2016, 12:18top / bottom of page

Sorry to read about the loss of your Daphne bholuas 'Alba' and 'Jacqueline Postill' John. I thought they were as hard as nails, can you say a little more about the possible reasons for their loss please?

I have 'Jacquline Postill' and after a very slow start her annual growth rate has been enourmous to the extent that she was beginning to take over. She has now had a haircut and hopefully she won't repay me by declining.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 03 May 2016, 11:52top / bottom of page

We lost all forms of Daphne bholua a few years back in a very cold protracted winter, except for the semi-deciduous 'Gurkha'. The white form had just made a particularly fine plant; they are obviously vulnerable in colder spells, probably especially when temperatures stay low and don't fluctuate diurnally significantly, and from John's experience if the cold/wet weather comes late as it has this year. They also don't seem anywhere near as available as they were a while back. On their own roots they do sucker but I think most plants have been grafted in the past. Makes you wonder if they would come successfully from root cuttings like a number of other daphnes?

Contribution from John Good 08 May 2016, 21:37top / bottom of page
Daphne bholua

Hi Tim,

I have taken several suckers successfully off 'Jacqueline Postill' by cutting through the connection in the autumn and digging and potting 6-9 months later, but now you mention it, I don't remember ever seeing a sucker on 'Alba', so have not been able to ry it with 'her'. I have never had seed set on any D. bholua forms, has anyone else??

This discussion Thread: 'April is the cruellest month' - T.S. Elliott - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic North Wales Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion