Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Midland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Midland Diary.

Midland Diary Discussion: 07 November 2010

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Diane Clement

Midland Diary No 34 - Seed Reception

Go to latest contribution by Diane Clement, 30 November 2010, 22:19. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Diane Clement 07 November 2010, 22:44top / bottom of page

I've been busy sorting seed for the last few weeks, just put together a quick diary of what has been happening

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/diaries/Midland/+November+/311/

Contribution from Judy Rhymes 08 November 2010, 10:18top / bottom of page

Thank you, Diane, for such a fascinating insight into how the multitude of seed arriving from all parts of the world is sorted, listed and packed.

Having assisted in picking the orders, I realised the tremendous work that must go on before the ordering stage is reached, but could not envisage how it was dealt with.

With this background knowledge, the efforts of everyone involved will be even more appreciated.

Contribution from Margaret Young 08 November 2010, 11:50top / bottom of page

Diane, this is a vital insight into the work that goes on in all the plant organisations who provide a seed exchange, thank you. Like Judy, I hope that your descriptions will serve to highlight the tremendous erffort that goes on, over many months, by dedicated volunteers like yourself and your Seed Team friends, to ensure that the membership can benefit.

Well done to you and your colleagues - it is voluntary work of this level of professionalism that is the very highest example of what a society should be. Congratulations to you and your "Seedy Chums" and those of all the other plant organistiaons who organise such exchanges around the world. Heroes, all!

Contribution from David Nicholson 08 November 2010, 12:21top / bottom of page

A magnificent effort by all involved and very sincere thanks to you all.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 08 November 2010, 12:31top / bottom of page

Let's put it bluntly ...

TRULY RUDDY INSPIRATIONAL!!!

Many, many thanks to you all (especially dear Margaret Mellows who has been involved now for so many years)!

Contribution from David Pilling 08 November 2010, 14:16top / bottom of page

After reading that, collecting seed seems like no effort.

11,000 packets of seed between 700 donors, an average of 16 per donor. 6000 species giving 9 per donor and 2 packets per species. Probably many species come from just one donor.

Contribution from Colin Dolding 08 November 2010, 16:11top / bottom of page

Thank you Diane for somehow finding the time to compile and post this blog, I knew you were up to something with that camera at Margaret's!

Thank you everone for your comments, the work is hard and long but hopefully worth it and appreciated by our members.

With regard to your comments David P, there are a few donors who donate more than 100 packets and many who donate the absolute minimum just to get donor status. All donations,however, are greatfully received and we wouldn't have the biggest seed exchange in the world (probably!) without such a big team effort.

A big thank you from me to Diane and Margaret who have to put up with me for a solid week and to all the people who came to Culcheth during half term to help.

The first boxes of seed are all arriving back at Pershore now ready for the racking up before distribution can get underway.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 08 November 2010, 18:24top / bottom of page

A truly magnificent effort by all involved. I feel ashamed and embarassed by my lack of contribution and wonder where you all get your energy from. I will keep a promise I made several years ago to join in when I retire but, as ERNIE only coughed up 25 this month, it may be a while yet.

Well done!

Contribution from Diane Clement 08 November 2010, 20:00top / bottom of page

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Before I was involved with the Seed Exchange I had no concept of what went on. The first year I was involved and I saw all the seed together the sheer quantity of it bowled me over. And the thought of trying to sort it all out was mind boggling. Now it's not exactly old hat, as there's always something different and we keep trying to improve, but we know roughly what to expect. Few people do know what goes on and I've shown it not to gain compliments but just to show what happens. I think growing from seed is so important and I thank all the donors who bother to send in their seed and all the helpers at all the stages. Just at this moment there are 80 or 90 people packing a box of 1000 packets each (another statistic David!). It's a massive team effort.

What did Jim Archibald say seeds were? something like "dreams in packets". I have lots of dreams, many unrealised!

Martin we look forward to your help in the future! You're doing better with Ernie than me.

Contribution from Elizabeth Maddock 10 November 2010, 00:01top / bottom of page
Seeds

I have been packing and receiving seeds for a few years now and can say without any dispute that it remains an integral part of the AGS. I also know how much goes into it and how much is contributed by Diane and Colin and Margaret. Without their commitment and knowledge the Seed Distribution would not get off the ground.

It also has the property of being both incredibly interesting and tedious at the same time. There is nothing like it and I could not imagine life in October and November without it. Thank you for all the extreme efforts, lack of sleep and hard work you put into it.

I don't know what happened there. It was incredibly slow loading up, so I put it in again, then I got cut off and had to log in again. Is it me or computers?

Contribution from John Richards 29 November 2010, 16:18top / bottom of page

Thank you Diane for showing those of us who are merely punters what a massive, complex and efficient organisation the seed exchange is. It is very easy to take it for granted, or even to moan a bit (not me!!), but you have lifted the lid and left the rest of us full of admiration, although not, I have to say, envy. Well done to all of you!

Contribution from Diane Clement 30 November 2010, 22:19top / bottom of page

Thanks, John for your comments. Of course it is the "mere punters" who are at the heart of the exchange as without the donors it wouldn't happen. Lots of essential helpers at all the stages also contribute.

Now the seed lists are printed and the online ordering system is already buzzing with activity. The volunteers at Pershore will soon be starting to make up orders and when members receive their seed it will all seem worth while.

This discussion Thread: 07 November 2010 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Midland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion