Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Midland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Midland Diary.

Midland Diary Discussion: 30 June 2011

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Diane Clement

Midland Diary No 44 - Seed Collection Starts

Go to latest contribution by Anne Marise GIBSON, 02 August 2011, 13:24. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Diane Clement 03 July 2011, 23:54top / bottom of page

My Diary No 44 shows a little kit that I put together so that I am ready to collect seed at any opportunity.

I've also been busy with a couple of new projects.

Midland Diary No 44 - Seed Collection Starts

Contribution from David Nicholson 04 July 2011, 20:49top / bottom of page

Very professional seed collecting kit Diane. It beats my plant pot with some kitchen tissue stuffed in the bottom and knicking the kitchen scissors, into a cocked hat. Nice little crevice garden too.

Contribution from David Pilling 05 July 2011, 12:31top / bottom of page
cyclamen seed

It is very distinctive how cyclamen stems coil and take the seeds down to the ground.

My questions is, where does the twist come from.

I'd been going to say that if the flowers follow the sun there'd be too many twists. But I suppose there are plants whose stems twist both clockwise and anticlockwise. Hence Shakespeare quote about woodbine and honeysuckle entwining.

Has anyone ever done a stop motion photo of cyclamen seed pods developing.

Contribution from Diane Clement 15 July 2011, 10:28top / bottom of page

David, the issue of coiling cyclamen stems is very interesting. I am tempted to try to photograph the event, but I'm not sure of the timescale involved. I think that most cyclamen coil from the top downwards, but C rohlfsianum coils from the bottom upwards. C graecum starts at both ends and sort of meets in the middle. And C persicum doesn't coil at atll but the fruits just hang from the end of the pedicel. I suppose the benefits of the fruit coiling down are to protect the fruit over the long ripening time and also when ripe, the seed is then at ground level ready to be dispersed by ants who are attracted by the sticky coating. As for clockwise and anticlockwise, we'll have to take a look at that!

Contribution from David Pilling 20 July 2011, 00:13top / bottom of page

A quick look at the PBS wiki shows c. coum spiraling anti-clockwise (going from tuber to seed) and c. hederifolium going clockwise.

Contribution from Anne Marise GIBSON 02 August 2011, 13:24top / bottom of page
seedlings in the tufa

Hi Diane , is the tufa for decoration and seperation, ie plants are in the sand?

This discussion Thread: 30 June 2011 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Midland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion