Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Midland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Midland Diary.

Midland Diary Discussion: 08 June 2009

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Diane Clement

Midland Diary No 13 - Mainly Seedy Matters

Go to latest contribution by Diane Clement, 18 June 2009, 18:35. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Diane Clement 09 June 2009, 09:49top / bottom of page

My new diary entry is here:

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/diaries/Midland/+June+/206/

Please add any comments in this discussion thread. Thanks!

Contribution from Cliff Booker 09 June 2009, 20:15top / bottom of page
MIDLAND DIARY NO. 13

Another very impressive and extremely interesting blog, Diane. Many thanks for all your hard work on our behalves.

Contribution from Margaret Young 09 June 2009, 23:43top / bottom of page
Corydalis 'Craigton Blue'

Interesting log, as ever, Diane. I believe these seedy matters have very useful tips to inform and encourage growers.

On the parentage of C. 'Craigton Blue' : we have found out that the plant we, and others, have long grown as Corydalis elata, is, correctly, C. omiena. Thus the cross which produced Craigton Blue is Cc. omieana x flexuosa.

The true, and very attractive, Corydalis elata can be seen in this week's edition of Ian Young's Bulb Log Diary.... here:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2009Jun101244637397BULB_LOG__2309.pdf

I hope that the summer proves a fruitful one for your diary musings and brings you truly robust health that you may share them with us all.

Contribution from Margaret Young 10 June 2009, 01:34top / bottom of page

My mistake.... careless typing, I'm afraid.... the Corydalis is C. omeiana NOT as I have written!

Contribution from Colin Dolding 10 June 2009, 05:23top / bottom of page

Many thanks for another interesting and informative blog.

After this colder winter I too had some germination from older sowings with Colchicum seedlings appearing in all pots whether sown 2 months earlier or 1 2 3 or 4 years ago.

I was also surprised by germination of Adonis sibirica (WC from Siberia) after 15 months.

Pans of Daphne giraldii have sent up several seedlings amongst others which germinated quickly 2 years ago. It's amazing what happens after we get a bit more normal winter!

Contribution from Diane Clement 10 June 2009, 08:53top / bottom of page

Thanks Maggi for the correction from Corydalis elata to Corydalis omeiana. I'll see if I can edit the blog so that it is correct. Good picture of Ian sitting among the Craigton Blue, it seems much shorter in Gothenburg than here, although admittedly mine looks tall as it was taken from a worm's eye view.

Contribution from John Richards 18 June 2009, 04:50top / bottom of page
Silene davidii

Good to see that, like me, you have good germination of Silene davidii Diane. It is often thought that the familar moss campion Silene acaulis is the only caespitose catchfly, but the high alpine S. davidii from Sichuan is quite its equal. It was first introduced without a name by Roy Lancaster L882 in 1981 and was grown successfully for some years but seems to have been lost. It is growing well for me this year in pots and planted out in scree and I have high hopes. I am attaching a photo taken in the wild west of Zhedou in 2007.

Silene davidii

Contribution from Diane Clement 18 June 2009, 18:35top / bottom of page

Great to see this in the wild, thanks John.   What sort of conditions does it grow in? It looks quite damp in your picture. The seedlings seem to have slightly succulent leaves.  Do you know what the plant is in front?  Potentilla sp? 

Have you seen the Silene in flower in cultivation? I wonder if it is easier to flower in cultivation than Silene acaulis?

This discussion Thread: 08 June 2009 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Midland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion