Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Midland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Midland Diary.

Midland Diary Discussion: 31 July 2011

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Diane Clement

Diary Entry No 45 - More seed collection

Go to latest contribution by Margaret Young, 03 August 2011, 15:09. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Diane Clement 01 August 2011, 22:59top / bottom of page

My Diary No 45 includes more seed collection, fruits of a mandrake and a pink dandelion. 

Midland Diary no 45 - More Seed Collection

Contribution from Tim Ingram 02 August 2011, 18:05top / bottom of page

Diane - Crepis incana is such a lovely plant. Simon Bond has managed to coax seeds on it, I'm not sure whether he has different clones, but Jim Archibald had seed from him in one of his latest lists. Question? Are they apomictic like dandelions (Taraxacum)? Maybe they need the heat of a greenhouse to encourage seeds to set?

Contribution from Diane Clement 02 August 2011, 20:28top / bottom of page

Yes, Tim, it's an excellent plant and growing very vigorously at the moment. If it did set seed it could be quite invasive! However, looking at my plant today, I couldn't see any seeds forming. I presume if it was apomictic then it would set seeds easily? I had imagined it like a lot of Asteraceae in setting a lot of fluff but not many viable seeds, however, I'm not even getting the fluff.

Contribution from Margaret Young 03 August 2011, 15:09top / bottom of page

As ever an interesting diary, Diane.

I am more than a little envious at your good paeony seed set, having had an almost complete flower failure this year.

I hope your example will be making lots of people think of the Seed Exchanges as they make their harvests !

This discussion Thread: 31 July 2011 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Midland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion