Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Midland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Midland Diary.

Midland Diary Discussion: 10 January 2010

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Diane Clement

Midland Diary no 21 - Alpine conditions and some non-alpines

Go to latest contribution by Elizabeth Maddock, 11 January 2010, 08:28. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Diane Clement 10 January 2010, 22:35top / bottom of page

My new diary entry starts 2010 with alpine conditions outside and a few tender plants inside a heated greenhouse.

Contribution from Elizabeth Maddock 11 January 2010, 08:28top / bottom of page

The leaves on some of the Petrocosmea are a very pleasing pattern and good to see flowers this time of year.

I was also pleased to see the succulents, Echeverias are a particular interest of mine and many are extremely hardy in winter if left completely dry. However, I checked on mine the other day and I feel sure some of them were not completely dry as they are looking transparent and unhealthy. These is those that have sailed through before, admittedly at less extreme temperatures, some however have taken temperatures down to -7C and still look OK and either have buds or will develope buds soon. I would not subject Haworthias to this though and those in the pictures look very nice and healthy.

This discussion Thread: 10 January 2010 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Midland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion