Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Midland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Midland Diary.

Midland Diary Discussion: 12 February 2010

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Diane Clement

Midland Diary no 22 Slow beginnings

Go to latest contribution by Diane Clement, 11 March 2010, 07:20. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Diane Clement 14 February 2010, 00:24top / bottom of page

It's been a slow start to 2010. My new diary entry can be seen by clicking here:

Midland Diary no 22

and take a look inside my Access frame and bulb house to see what is in flower.

Please make any comments in this discussion thread

Contribution from Gail Harland 14 February 2010, 10:05top / bottom of page

Some much needed colour - thank you so much for that Diane. I particularly love the Adonis; such a beautiful flower.

Contribution from Della Kerr 07 March 2010, 11:08top / bottom of page
Snowdrops in pots

While I find that my snowdrops increase more quickly when they are planted out, I don't know why people get sniffy about growing them in pots. I have about 100 different ones in pots, which seem to grow quite well. The only problem I ever have with snowdrops is attack by narcissus fly, and this is easier to control in a pot - I repot all of mine every summer, and use around 50% Singleton's compost which contains vineweevil insecticide, which seems to work well. Narcissus fly seems prevalent in my area, and I have to grow all my narcissus in the same compost. I've given up growing them in the garden.

Contribution from Diane Clement 11 March 2010, 07:20top / bottom of page

Hello Della

Thanks for your interest and contribution.  I agree that it can be beneficial to grow snowdrops in pots to control Narcissus fly.  Also some snowdrop growers have problems with Staganospora which I have not had on pot grown plants.  There is a suggestion that this fungal infection can be transferred by splashing from the soil during heavy rain, and this doesn't happen in pot grown plants. 

I also think growing them in pots is just a nice way to enjoy their differences in the depths of winter without having to crawl on the ground!

This discussion Thread: 12 February 2010 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Midland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion