Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Midland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Midland Diary.

Midland Diary Discussion: 10 August 2011

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Diane Clement

Diary Entry No 46 - A week in the Engadine

Go to latest contribution by Diane Clement, 22 August 2011, 21:56. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Diane Clement 10 August 2011, 12:06top / bottom of page

Our summer holiday this year was spent in the Engadine area of Switzerland. To see where we went and what we saw, click here

Midland Diary No 46 - A week in the Engadine

Contribution from Mel Linney 12 August 2011, 11:50top / bottom of page
Midland Diary 46.

How interesting Diane,I am looking forward to the next instalment. Elaine and I are looking at visiting Switzerland next year at the end of June.I would appreciate any help you can give to selecting a good destination at that time. Also the best way of getting there.

Mel.

Contribution from Diane Clement 22 August 2011, 16:13top / bottom of page

Mel, I am sure you will love Switzerland. I think it is the perfect holiday destination. The hotels and transport are excellent, and the scenery and plants are superb.

If it's your first time, I'd go with one of the travel companies - we usually go with Inghams, but have also travelled with Crystal and this year went with Swiss Travel. You will fly from your local airport probably to Zurich you will be provided with a Swiss card which enables free transport from airport to your holiday destination and return, plus half price travel on most trains, buses and mountain lifts included in the pass for the duration of your holiday.

Where to go? For the best scenery and flowers, I would recommend you choose between the Bernese Oberland area (Wengen, Grindelwald or Murren) or the Valais (Zermatt or Saas Fee). Also, I would highly recommend the area we were in, for ease of access and good transport up to high altitudes (Engadine valley - Pontresina or St Moritz).

Contribution from Mel Linney 22 August 2011, 21:24top / bottom of page

Diane,

Thanks for the information, I will keep you posted. Going back to your point about resizing images and confirming plant identification I am currently working through my pictures from the Dolomites at the end of June.Elaine and I, along with seven other very capable people, recorded so many plants including grasses and trees/shrubs I will probably working on the list when we go to Switzerland. The fauna was pretty impressive especially the Viper guarding the 'King of the Alps on the Pordoi Pass. I am hoping to put some pictures on the website shortly but in the meantime I will leave you with Physoplexis comosa. You can understand why it is known as the Devils Claw.

Mel.

Contribution from Diane Clement 22 August 2011, 21:56top / bottom of page

Super picture, Mel. Sadly I have never seen it in flower as we have only been to the Dolomites in late July when it is over.

This discussion Thread: 10 August 2011 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Midland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion