Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Midland Diary Discussion

Go and read the Midland Diary.

Midland Diary Discussion: 28 August 2009

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Diane Clement

Midland Diary No 17 - The end of August

Go to latest contribution by Diane Clement, 22 September 2009, 20:51. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Diane Clement 30 August 2009, 19:02top / bottom of page

Repotting and seed collecting continue in my latest diary entry. The first signs of autumn are already with us. My new diary entry is here:

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/diaries/Midland/+August+/222

Please add any comments here in this discussion thread. Thanks!

Contribution from David Nicholson 31 August 2009, 18:57top / bottom of page

As always Diane interesting and very useful.

As a new recruit to the Cyclamen ranks I wasn't aware that C.graecum had a perennial taproot and didn't know either that it is best to grow it with the top of the tuber exposed. No wonder I haven't had any success with it.

Contribution from Elizabeth Maddock 31 August 2009, 21:34top / bottom of page
Cyclamen and seedlings

I have been reading the Members' Diaries with interest and have found them very useful, too.

Having read about your experiences with Cyclamen, I thought i would add mt own.

I have been growing Cyclamen graecum for a few years now,starting with bought tubers, then going on to grow from seed. I have done what I have been told to do to grow them and have worked at it. O have grown them in long toms, kept moisture at the roots during summer(plunged in sand in a cold frame), baked them during the dormancy period (summer permitting) and kept the tuber exposed at the top. Finally, success! Two years ago, one flower, last year nothing, this year buds, loads of them. At last! I suspect the size of the tuber helps, too. I look forward to seeing my seed grown plants flower as well.

I have also grown Cyclamen persicum from AGS seed,this has done very well. I have given them similar treatment in summer to C graecum and kept them plunged in sand in a cold frame over winter. This year they are still in the cold frame and are producing plenty of beautifully patterned leaves, I have every hope of good flowers next spring.

I have also been checking out some of my seedlings and on turning out a pot of Cyclamen intaminatum, with patterened leaves, I was delighted to find about twenty good sized tubers and one or two have flowers. C intaminatum is small but seems to be very reliable for me and the flowers are a delight, with fine grey striping. I was also pleased to get a good number of pale pink flowered C intaminatum seedlings. With this number I am going to plant some out in the rock garden and hope to see them flowering in a year or two.

I tried putting some Cyclamen pseudibericum out in a very sheltered spot in the garden, it remains to be seen whether they come up later or flower.

A very satisfying time of year investigating all these pots of bulbs and tubers.

Contribution from Colin Dolding 01 September 2009, 18:18top / bottom of page

Many thanks Diane for the latest installment on Cyclamen. Following your instructions on graecum I may manage to get more than the occasional flower in future!

Purpurascens has been good outside for me this year.

Keep up the good work with seed collecting!

Contribution from john lee 01 September 2009, 18:43top / bottom of page

Hello Diane,well done with diary 17 very informative,

I have had trillium flexipes seed this year and took of the seed capsule as it was about to split as you have done, and decided to pot the whole sticky mess straight away,

right or wrong?

Contribution from Luc Gilgemyn 02 September 2009, 12:31top / bottom of page

Another very interesting Diary Diane !

Thanks a lot !

Contribution from Denise Bridges 08 September 2009, 20:41top / bottom of page

Interesting item again Diane.

I used to have problems getting C. graecum to flower, until I started keeping the plants in saucers during the summer, and watering them at the base.....then hey presto, flowers every year! The plants come into bud/flower at different times however, now I have some in full flower, some showing leaf only and no flower yet...and some are still dormant. Do you experience the same with your plants, and if so, have you any idea why?

Contribution from Diane Clement 22 September 2009, 20:51top / bottom of page

Thanks to everyone who has made a comment or contribution, and sorry for the delay in getting round to replying. It seems to be a busy time of year! (when is it not, in an alpine gardener's calendar?)

Tony, with respect to the trillium seed, potting "the whole sticky mess" is of course what happens in nature. The only problem is that the sticky substance surrounding the seeds will attract ants or other creatures to disperse the seed and so they may end up where you don't want them! I also find that the seeds often get eaten by birds. However, some do germinate near the plant so nature must know what it is doing.

What I usually try to do is remove the fruits before the birds get at it and dry it off indoors on a pot saucer on a warm window sill, then gradually remove the sticky stuff and keep drying it off until the seed is separate and dry. However you do it, expect a long wait before you see flowers!

I'll discuss the points raised about cyclamen cultivation in my next blog.

This discussion Thread: 28 August 2009 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Midland Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion