Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Kent Diary Discussion

Kent Diary Discussion: 28 March 2014

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Kent/

The Way of the World

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 02 April 2014, 11:55. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Della Kerr 02 April 2014, 07:25top / bottom of page

I'm really enjoying your Diary, Tim, which is giving me lots of useful info about the plantys you grow. But I particularly liked your references to 'The Way of the World', as I am reading it at present. It's a fascinating insight into the recent past, with its evocation of life in countries that we more often hear about because of wars and atrocities. I don't suppose it would be possible to recreate the journey now, and I certainly would not wish to do it with little money and a car that keeps breaking down!

Contribution from Tim Ingram 02 April 2014, 11:55top / bottom of page

Many thanks Della! Nicholas Bouvier and his friend come across as incredibly resourceful and at other times patient and philosophical. That youthful spirit and just straightforward fascination with other people is what must have kept them going, plus I think the way local people always find excitement in strangers, if those strangers seem so downright adventurous. His knowledge of the history of the regions and their traditions is such a big part of the book - an amazing character.

This discussion Thread: 28 March 2014 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Kent Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion