Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Kent Diary Discussion

Kent Diary Discussion: 06 July 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Kent/

...Day 1 continued

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 30 July 2015, 17:01. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from John Richards 30 July 2015, 09:14top / bottom of page
Haut Chitelet

How interesting to see that this fine Vosges garden succeeds so well with Muscarioides primulas such as P. watsonii and P. muscarioides itself, not to mention P. reidii. I should have thought the summers would be too hot and dry but apparently not. I think the blue Mec is probably M. 'Lingholm', not least because it was most likely grown from seed.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 30 July 2015, 17:01top / bottom of page

Thanks John for the potential identity of the meconopsis. If we could grow these here we would have a strong following from local gardeners! (And they would keep coming back for more when they lost them!!). This summer has obviously been seriously dry in the Vosges and Philippe has shown pictures of the garden on the SRGC Forum with shading over vulnerable plants, which probably includes the primulas. In more average years rainfall is more consistant and I imagine diurnal temperature changes at altitude give cool nights too. A plant that grows very well at the Haut-Chitelet garden (and also at Lauteret) is Helichrysum milfordae, full of flower - it never seems to flower at all with us! (and certainly doesn't grow like this).

This discussion Thread: 06 July 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Kent Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion