Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Kent Diary Discussion

Kent Diary Discussion: 28 January 2014

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: /diaries/Kent/

The 'Ultimate' Snowdrop Sale

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 31 January 2014, 09:24. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 30 January 2014, 18:47top / bottom of page

Great to see another diary Tim and a fascinating view of a Snowdrop sale...........still not converted me to Galanthophilia though :-)

Contribution from Helen Johnstone 30 January 2014, 20:25top / bottom of page

Hi Tim

I really enjoyed your first diary entry. I have recently started reading E A Bowles so it was fascinating to see his garden

Contribution from Margaret Young 30 January 2014, 21:03top / bottom of page

A most appropriate subject for this time of year, Tim, to begin your Kentish Diary - I am pleased to see the public discusion area is now set up.

I was most surprised to see, in your third picture, the Sorbus still carrying so very many berries. Lovely sight indeed.

Contribution from Brian Whyer 30 January 2014, 22:54top / bottom of page

We have locally (Bucks) 2 smallish Sorbus still covered in bunches of very small berries. I thought they were winter blossom a few weeks back. The birds must be very fussy to ignore non-red berries as they seem to do until very short of food.

Contribution from Helen Johnstone 31 January 2014, 07:36top / bottom of page

Hi Brian

My understanding is that the birds go for the red berries first and then other colours in an order I have forgotten but I think yellow or white might be their least favourite. Presumably with this mild winter they haven't needed to rely on the less palatable colours so much

Contribution from Tim Ingram 31 January 2014, 09:24top / bottom of page

I think birds probably simply don't notice the paler berries. Many flowers that are pollinated by birds are bright colours, especially red. We have only managed to harvest cherries from a tree in our garden after getting a dog, and a commercial grower friend of my father's (who grew cherries in Tasmania) had to spend all of the Christmas vacation out in his orchards with a gun to scare off starlings!

Martin, the snowdrops creep up on you unawares untli you suddenly notice that you have four of five different ones growing around the garden, and then there's no stopping you! I do try to consider them as part of the wider winter garden, and to a great extent it is the overall effect of them which is so striking. The variation has the added appeal that it draws friend's out into the garden to look at them too, and then there is no choice but to share them and discover the differences. I will show some of these over the coming weeks along with many other winter flowers. 

This discussion Thread: 28 January 2014 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Kent Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion