Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Dianthus

Dianthus: Dianthus erinaceus

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Alan Jones

Go to latest contribution by Rick Lambert, 11 October 2012, 21:00. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Alan Jones 25 July 2012, 11:54top / bottom of page

I have five eight inch cushions of Dianthus erinaceus growing in very lean scree conditions. Usually, they are quite sparsely flowered, but this year flowering has been abundant. I can only attribute this to the record-breaking levels of rain. I would grow this plant for the pleasure of the cushions alone but seeing all these flowers is a real joy.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 25 July 2012, 22:24top / bottom of page

Alan, do you have a photo you could post here?

Contribution from Alan Jones 26 July 2012, 09:35top / bottom of page

No, Martin. I am always being asked to post a pic but I do not know how to do it, even though I have received coaching from Maggi Young and Diane Clement; just can't get my head round it, to quote current parlance. It is an embarrassment. I have this week asked one of my former colleagues if he can find me a young computer genius to show me, in return for some holiday money. I have also just sent out one or two CD's to close alpine friends showing some of the plants I grow. I can send you one or two pics by post. That is the best I can do. Meanwhile, I shall look on the bright side and keep trying.

Contribution from Rick Lambert 06 August 2012, 22:23top / bottom of page

I have a picture of D. erinaceus 'Duguid's Form' from last year. Here growing in a piece of tufa.

The plants in my southwest facing back garden are better. I agree this year has been good for this species

As the flowers fade it is a good time to take cuttings, but watch out for the viciously sharp leaves.

I insert into a tray of sharp sand and perlite.

Contribution from Rick Lambert 11 October 2012, 21:00top / bottom of page

and here is the one in my back garden. Very good flowering this year (2012) perhaps because of the early dry spell.

This discussion Thread: Dianthus erinaceus - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Dianthus
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion