Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Colchicum

Colchicum: Colchicum psaridis

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: AGS Encyclopaedia

Go to latest contribution by Ron Mudd, 03 June 2012, 20:21. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Ballard 30 May 2012, 13:06top / bottom of page
My Colchicum psaridis

I have been growing what I believe to be Colchicum psaridis for about 5 years now. I bought it from a reputable nurseryman who imports a lot of rare bulbs to Australia. In the AGS online encyclopaedia it states that Colchicum psaridis has up to 3 leaves, however the one I grow has 3 ? 4 leaves? I have added a picture so if anyone can confirm whether or not it?s Colchicum psaridis, please let me know. It?s easy to grow and multiplies well. It usually flowers towards the end of autumn, although this year it flowered mid-autumn (we had a colder than average autumn here in Melbourne). I love small flowering ?bulbs? and this is one of my favourites. There are quite a few seed pods rising at present. I hope to collect seed to offer for the exchange (although I?ve never collected seed from these before).

My Colchicum psaridis
Another photo of Colchicum psaridis
Another photo of Colchicum psaridis

Contribution from Ron Mudd 30 May 2012, 18:36top / bottom of page

Hi Jon, Seems C. psaridis is now recognised as a synonym of C. zahnii.

http://plants.jstor.org/specimen/s-g-7959

Contribution from Jon Ballard 03 June 2012, 13:29top / bottom of page

Thanks Ron. I'll have to put two names on my plant labels!

I notice Colchicum zahnii isn't listed in this online encyclopedia.

Contribution from Ron Mudd 03 June 2012, 20:21top / bottom of page

Hi Jon. I know, its so frustrating isn't it? But if we can maintain our collections in line with what the current thinking is then that's surely for the better? The trouble is getting access to the latest name updates! I find that through discussion areas like this though most people are only too happy to help.

Unfortunately the Encyclopaedia is missing many species names in many Genera. I'm unsure if it was ever meant to be comprehensive, and, well ... things have moved on a lot since it was first produced. I do believe however that steps are in place to correct these omissions across the board.

Here's as good a place to start as any though Jon -

http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/search?q=Colchicum

This discussion Thread: Colchicum psaridis - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
AGS Encyclopaedia entry: Colchicum psaridis
Discussion Topic Colchicum
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion