Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Androsace

Androsace: Outside Androsace

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Rick Lambert

A list of species and hybrids for trying outside

Go to latest contribution by Rick Lambert, 23 July 2012, 23:06. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Rick Lambert 10 January 2012, 18:50top / bottom of page

Tim Ingram set me thinking and the result is a list of species that can be tried outside in very good drainage.

Easy

albana

alpina

carnea

ciliata

cylindrica

geranifolia

hausmannii

himalaica

hirtella

integra

jacquemontii

laevigata (D)

laggeri

lanuginosa

mathilde

mucronifolia

mucronifoliaXsempervivoides

sarmentosa

sempervivoides

studiosorum

some protection

bulleyana

globifera

limprichtii

Xmarpensis

montana (D)

robusta

spinulifera

tangulashanensis

yargongensis

zambalensis

A challenge

helvetica

ochotensis

pyrenaica

vandellii

laevigata v. ciliolate (D)

rigida

nivalis (D)

idahoensis (D)

A challenge

helvetica

ochotensis

pyrenaica

vandellii

laevigata v. ciliolate (D)

rigida

nivalis (D)

idahoensis (D)

Contribution from David Nicholson 10 January 2012, 18:53top / bottom of page

Very useful Rick, many thanks.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 11 January 2012, 09:17top / bottom of page

Rick - that looks a very exciting list! I aim to extend my sand bed, and possibly experiment with different materials and tufa, so I will be strongly tempted to try some of these species. Any that do succeed well then offer the opportunity of propagation and hopefully encouraging more gardeners to try them. Many thanks; will aim, to learn more about those I don't know.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 12 January 2012, 16:26top / bottom of page

Rick, just so we are clear. When you say outside do you mean outside outside' or outside with Winter overhead protection?

Contribution from Rick Lambert 16 January 2012, 15:50top / bottom of page

Hi Martin,

I was referring to 'Outside subsp. outside', but then realised I had included A. zambalense which does need cover. Sorry about that.

David Mowle suggests trying most Androsace outside as he did. I imagine because most come from high altitudes and can tolerate cold. It is the compost and drainage that are critical.

Contribution from Rick Lambert 15 February 2012, 16:08top / bottom of page

Already, as the snow melts the rosettes of many of the European Androsace are showing small buds. They appear in the rosette about 3 of 4 whorls out from the center.

Can wait for spring.

Rick

Contribution from Rick Lambert 06 March 2012, 17:50top / bottom of page
Androsace zambalense

See Contribution from Alan Jones 23 June 2011, 18:58

for an exchange of information. Thanks Maggie and Don for those bits. (I think the article Don referred to is now on the AGS web site or will be soon.

Yes A.zambalense does not like heat, but is also quite willing to root from cuttings. So keep several in hand. Put the pots outside in a cool frame that gets lots of light.

I think there has been further collections of this. I was always fascinated by the resting buds as shown in The Androsace Monograph.

Contribution from Anthony Hale 12 July 2012, 20:28top / bottom of page
Androsace muscoidea

Hi Rick. I am moving my Androsaces out of pots & into my long raised bed at the front of the house. Your list of sp. above for outside planting is very useful indeed. You may remember that I obtained A. muscoidea BB3 from you when I visited. As it's not in your list, how would you categorise it - easy OR with winter protection OR a challenge ?

As this information is key for growers could it at some convenient point be incorporated into the Androsace section in the new online encyclopaedia along with a comprehensive sp. list.

Many thanks

Tony Hale

Contribution from Rick Lambert 23 July 2012, 23:06top / bottom of page

Hi Tony,

Androsace muscoides BB3 from Brian Burrows is (if I remember correct) a seedling he raised and found easier than others.

This winter was a trial for many high alpines and especially Androsace outside. But Androsace muscoidea (BB3) has survive in a ballast bed and in a pot in very free draining compost in an open frame.

If I remember Tony, your front bed faces South and you may need shading in the summer.

My visit to Saas Fee and Hohsaas was wonderful with the dark pink form of Androsace alpina at its best. This species is a long flowering one rather than the flower covered cushions of, say, A. vandelii. Try it in your raised bed.

Best wishes

Rick

This discussion Thread: Outside Androsace - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Androsace
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion