Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Androsace

Androsace: Androsace in the wild

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Rick Lambert

Go to latest contribution by Gerald M. Schneeweiss, 04 September 2014, 11:52. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Rick Lambert 29 July 2012, 21:18top / bottom of page

A long awaited visit to Switzerland just completed, I share with you two of the Androsace we found around Saas-Fee area.

The first, Androsace alpina, was very variable and is a plant that continues to flower for quite a long period in nature.

The first was at the top of Hohsaas (up in the cable car and minimal walking involved)

The second is lower down and just above a large (and difficult) snow field. It was a wonderful colour.

I think the variation in colour may, in part, be as the flowers age.

The second is Androsace vandellii, which was over in most places but this was, unexpectedly, found in the cliffs above the small power satation settling pond above Saas-Almagel.

Is this Androsace carnea?

I found this on a few occasions at 2500 metres- is it Androsace carnea or the saxifrage that pretends to be an androsace??

Over to you experts

Is this Androsace carnea?

The leaves don't look quite right to me for Androsace carnea

Contribution from Paul Ranson 31 July 2012, 09:27top / bottom of page
Androsace sp.

Hi Ric

Whenever I've seen a plant with this appearance I've thought it to be A. obtusifolia. But I'm not the expert you seek!!

Regards

Paul

Contribution from Rick Lambert 02 August 2012, 20:39top / bottom of page

Thanks Paul,

Could be. Thinks look so different sometimes in nature.

Rick

Contribution from Gerald M. Schneeweiss 04 September 2014, 11:52top / bottom of page

Hi Rick,

the Androsace in question is A. obtusifolia. Androsace "carnea" (the name is nomencalturally rejected and thus no longer available: it was burdened with a lot of confusion and mix-up) in this region would be A. (adfinis subsp.) puberula, which has much narrower leaves (with different type of hairs) and usually pink flowers.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gerald Schneeweiss

This discussion Thread: Androsace in the wild - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Androsace
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion