Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Androsace

Androsace: Androsace in my Garden

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Rick Lambert

A look at some of the plants I grow

Go to latest contribution by Rick Lambert, 11 September 2014, 20:26. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Rick Lambert 08 April 2012, 20:27top / bottom of page

A couple of puzzles have arisen and I would appreciate others help.

1. seed of Androsace brevis of which I was a bit suspect,was sown, has germinated and this year flowered.

Any ideas (picture to follow)

Contribution from Rick Lambert 08 April 2012, 23:17top / bottom of page

So this germinated and this year flowered.

And next seed of Androsace neuwerthii from Josef Jurasek was germinated. Not many survived the winter but those that did are flowering and one plants has done this.

Contribution from Rick Lambert 12 April 2012, 14:25top / bottom of page

Now for some of the other Androsace.

Androsace mucronifoloa X sempervivoides growing outside but covered in winter with glass.

Androsace muscoidea var breviscapa

Androsace baltistanica

A form of A. baltistanica given me by David Mowle.

A form of Androsacer muscoidea raised by Brian Burrow (BB3) for recognition and it has been growing outside this winter in a raised bed in very gritty soil.

Androsace barbulata the label said, but I am not sure of this. It is a small villosa type.

Androsace tangulashanensis - in cultivation not generous with its flowers

... and a close up of the flower.

... and finally, for now, a small and very slow growing plant of Androsace pavlovskyi (note one i as the picture in the book has a mistake.

I am also puzzled by the description of the flower colour in the book.

The plant was given me many years ago by Jozef Lemmens.

The combined perfume of the ones in the alpine house is wonderful.

Just one more picture and help needed.

Is is Androsace (Douglasia) ochotensis.

It was grown from seed named as such but is has the look of a carnea x pyrenaica hybrid

Contribution from Rick Lambert 20 April 2012, 21:33top / bottom of page

Finally opening its flower buds is one of the forms of Androsace primuliflora

Contribution from Rick Lambert 09 January 2013, 22:58top / bottom of page
Androsace 2013

A sunny day here and I managed to get some time in the garden potting up divisions of Hosta, Epimedium, Papaver etc, and pot up a few more Saxifrage cuttings inserted last autumn and well rooted.

Back to Androsace, I noticed buds appearing on a plant of A. carneaXpyrenaica growing in an outside sand bed, also buds on A. cylindrica. I hope they realise that winter has yet more to throw at us. By three pm it started to get cold and by the time I had cleared away the thermometer said just 1 degree C.

Will try some pictures if not raining tomorrow.

Rick Lambert

Contribution from Rick Lambert 09 May 2013, 19:11top / bottom of page

The temperature dropped after my last contribution and we have had to wait for further Androsace flowers. However over the last couple of weeks I have been photographing and matching name on label to what the plant should be according to the ANDROSACE book (AGS publications and still the best).

A. ciliata. Not the best colour form but typical of its seeding habit in well drained scree. It takes an expert to grow a good pan full for the AGS bench. Not long lived in the garden.

A. baltistanica. Alan Dunkley made several collection, and although close to A. muscoidea has some of the habits of A. villosa.

A. cylindrica. There is nothing cylindrical about the plant but thought to be named from a Mount Cylindre - Oh how these Botanists tease us!

A good scree bed plant and usually sweetly scented. In a pot in the Alpine house it will grow to a good size and flower well.

Most of the seed is contaminated with A. hirtella blood (and vice versa). Excellent in trough and crevice

A. jacquemontii. Only introduced in 1952 from Indian Himalaya. It has the habit of A. villosa but is a species in its own right. This picture is of the usual pink form. It prefers to be in a raised scree bed and is easily raised from seed.

There is a beautiful 'lilac' coloured from which grows just as easily but possibly not true from seed. Propagation is by inserting the mature runners into sharp sand and perlite in May of June.

Here it is growing in a pot in the alpine house sand plunge, but it is much happier in the open and in well drained scree.

ANDROSACE laggeri. This form is more robust than the lin leaved form seen in cultivation and is of interest as it arrived for the Androsace Group seed Exchange some years back from the late G Patzmann. I sowed the seed and was puzzled by the appearance of the seedlings. However they fit the description of A. laggeri very well.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: Androsace in my Garden - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Androsace
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion